Thursday, April 14, 2011

Party Line Finds

There's an afternoon radio show out here where people call in with their junk really great stuff for sale, and since Lily goes down around 1, I'm always around the radio for it (we don't have TV, so picture us sitting around the radio in the evenings). I'm a bit of a junker at heart, and responded to a call saying she had old doors and screens for sale. Gasp! I've been looking for an old door with character to make into a headboard. Josh, amazingly, was completely on board and said, and I quote, "Get what you want." Yessssss!

Anyway, here are my finds. This is the screen that I went to buy, and I just love it.
It's so simple and country. A good cleaning up and a couple coats of polyurethane and she's good to go. It's got some great details like the hinges...I wish I had a box full of these babies!
And the handle is even cute.
I had planned on using it as the headboard until my husband saw the barn door I also bought...
Now while the screen is a "she," the door is definitely a "he." He weighs a ton and it built like a brick. I really didn't want a window in the door we would use for a headboard (I have symmetry issues), but Josh loved it so much that I don't think I'll be able to say no.
I just love rusty stuff. :)
And then she had these sitting out for $10 each. I loved that this one had some messed up glaze, and I think it would look cute on the end of the mudroom bench. And yes, that's the blue dresser that I have yet to blog about. I'm waiting on my super cute drawer pulls to come in, then it will be up here for all to see.
While I was in the shop, I decided to take "in progress" pictures of a couple other projects I have going on. This is the bench I built using ana-white.com's Five Board Bench plans. I'm not loving it in black, but I hope with a little distressing I will like it more. I've also been thinking about stenciling something on the front of the bench, but I can't decide what...our last name? "Kick off yer boots!"? "Mudroom"? There will be a rolling crate made from pallet wood under it that I could also stencil something onto...
I also have had these two shutters sitting around since last fall when I rescued them from my brother-in-law's bonfire and I'm just kind of waffling on what to do with them. I've sort of decided to paint them white and use them as photo/art displays either in our dining room or Lily's room, but we'll see what happens. Any suggestions are appreciated. :)
I can't wait to show you the "after" pictures!

No comments:

Post a Comment