Growing up, if we did something way out there, or completely not normal, we called it going off the deep end. Well, I've gone there and it involved bathroom products...wohooooo! Right?
The two products are some that we've had issues with quite a bit. With toothpaste, Josh has to have an SLS-free toothpaste to keep those cold sores away, and we were spending $5 per tube on Burt's Bee's toothpaste for him. Then for me, the deodorant was the issue. I have super sensitive skin and any deodorant I used, I would get irritation under my arms, no matter what. I had finally settled on Secret Clinical, and it was doing an ok job, but at almost $12 per stick, that's pretty steep!
Throw a little Simple Mom into the mix. Making my own toothpaste? I mean, seriously. WHY would I go and do a crazy thing like that? Thriftiness, I tell ya, I blame it on my mom for making my thrifty! Here is the recipe I use. Ok. It was a good thing for you all that I didn't write a blog about this in the first couple days of using this. It tastes nasty. Like, I gagged through the first few uses. But ya know what? I got used to it and we actually prefer it now. Our teeth feel cleaner, and after using regular toothpaste while traveling over the weekend, I realized that we were so used to that coating you get from normal toothpaste. I think I'll play with the flavoring next time and see how it goes, but at least it's cheaper and it works for Josh!
Next, since I had all the ingredients, I made my own deodorant. Here is the recipe I used (yes, I'm kind of a Simple Mom freak), and we both loved this from the get-go. Josh works a physically demanding job out in the heat, so he needed great protection from both sweating and odor, and this does it for him! Plus, I haven't had a single red bump since using this. It works great while exercising and there's no fragrance, which is generally what caused the irritation to begin with. We do keep it in the fridge for now since our house is warm in the summer, but it's no issue for us.
Hopefully this has inspired you all to go off the deep end. :P
No comments:
Post a Comment